It’s been a long year, and for many people saying goodbye to 2020 can’t come soon enough! A year of adjusting to working from home, home-schooling the kids, multiple stage 4 lockdowns, job loss, income loss and pesky toilet paper shortage, that’s only to name a few.
Pet owners alike, face another challenge – saying goodbye to their pets. After months of your pooch adjusting to you being home, by their side 24/7, the poor little guy has to readjust to you leaving them to go back to work again.
Separation anxiety is a real thing for both humans and our furry friends. Having patience and giving it time, are really the two most important elements needed to help your pet, and yourself adjust, to what they feel will be a massive change to their all-important routine.
Aside from having the patience to stick it out, we have done a little research for you and put together a few important things you can try at home to help your pet adjust to you leaving. We have also done the hard work for you and tracked down some products that MAY help with the transition for both you and your pooch. Good luck and from all of us here at Pet Nation, we know how hard leaving your best friend can be!
Firstly, here are a few signs that your dog may be displaying, that indicates they are struggling with you leaving to go back to the office again.
- They may be digging again
- Scratching at doors or your windows in an attempt to follow you to work
- Destructive chewing. Are you having to hide your shoes again…..maybe you work shoes??
- The all obvious howling, barking, crying and whinging when they spot your cues to leave
- And the all awful one of urinating or pooing when they are toilet trained normally.
Here are a couple of actions you can take to help ease with minor anxiety or stress around you walking out that door.
- Leave your buddy with something that smells like you, so they feel like you never left
- Don’t make a big fuss over leaving and returning, just ignore your pet for the first few minutes upon arrival and approach them calmly to say your hellos
- Establish a few routines or signals that your dog can recognise that tells them you’re not leaving them forever and that you will be back
The QLD Government website states, to help pets with life after COVID-19:
- Pets are creatures of habit, so establish a routine that covers rest, play, exercise and alone time during the day while you are at work to return them to their normal habits.
- Encourage pets to play with their toys and rotate the toys regularly to keep them engaged.
- Make feeding fun with puzzle feeders, chew bones and scatter feeds to increase the time and mental energy spent foraging and eating.
We added a few products below that we think can help you. Use these if all else fails or in conjunction with a solid routine around leaving and coming home. Again, given time and patience, your pooch should feel secure in knowing you are coming back to give them all the love they deserve at the end of a long day back in the office. You will need those kisses to!
- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: With Full HD, 160 degrees wide-angle, 4x zoom and night vision, you will be able to see your dog clearly day and night.
- TALK — 2-Way Chat & Barking Alert: Furbo will notify you when it senses your dog barking. Know what’s going on at home and talk to calm your dog down.
- PLAY — Fun Treat Tossing: Play remotely by tossing treats to your dogs via the free Furbo iOS/Android app. Fill Furbo with over 100 pieces of your dogs’ favourite treats & play a game of catch. Recommended treat size: 1cm.
- EASY SETUP — 1) Plug Furbo into a power outlet using its USB cord 2) Download the Furbo app 3) Connect to your home Wi-Fi.
- WORKS with AMAZON ALEXA — Tell Alexa to toss a treat with Furbo as you head out the door, hands-free!
- Applies gentle and constant pressure to calm anxiety
- Over 80% successful at helping millions of dogs
- Recommended by thousands of vets and trainers
- Sold in Australia
- VET RECOMMENDED: Adaptil is the number 1 Vet Recommended solution to help dogs adjust to challenging situations and curb stress related unwanted behaviours
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: May be used to help reduce separation anxiety
- DRUG FREE SOLUTION: Adaptil helps your dog feel calm and comfortable by mimicking a mother’s natural nursing pheromones – 100% safe and drug-free.
- STOP PROBLEM BARKING, destructive chewing, trembling, fear of loud noises, separation anxiety, and many other “not-so-fun” symptoms your dog may display
- EASY TO USE: Simply put on your Adaptil Calming Collar, and you are good to go! Your dog’s body heat will activate the calming pheromones, which will help your dog to stay calm all day long, regardless of the situation
- A NATURAL FORMULA FOR ANXIETY: Zesty Paws Calming Bites are chicken flavoured chewable supplements with natural and organic ingredients that help dogs with nervous, anxious, or aggressive behaviours feel calm and comfortable.
- HELPS WITH HYPERACTIVE & AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOUR: Each chew contains Thiamine and Organic Chamomile, which act as a relaxer that can help reduce jumping, biting, and barking from dogs that display aggressive or hyper active tendencies.
- SOOTHES ANXIETIES: This Calming Bites supplement may encourage natural anti-anxiety relief for a thunderstorm, fireworks, car rides, or separation anxiety.
- ADVANCED COMPLEX OF PROVEN INGREDIENTS: These treats contain Organic Ginger Root, L-Tryptophan, and Organic Passion Flower to help minimise outbursts, while Valerian Root reduces scratching, restlessness, paw licking, and chewing.
- FLASHES AND TALKS: motion activated flashing lights and makes 18 different sounds
- GOOD WITH SPECIAL NEEDS PETS: great for pets that are blind, have poor eyesight, or separation anxiety
- LONG LASTING BATTERIES: 12,000 – 15,000 phrases or sounds (batteries included)
- EXERCISE TOY: helps your pet remain active
- DURABLE: tough construction
- CALMING BED FOR DOGS & CATS – Ease pet anxiety and create a sense of security. Our donut shaped, round bed with luxurious soft faux fur and high walls is perfect for pets who love to curl up in a safe and cosy bed.
- PET SAFE – Breathable, vegan, non-toxic materials are great for hot Aussie summers and give warmth in the cool winters. Super soft premium filling, acts as a cosy cat or dog pillow to support needs of sensitive or orthopaedic aged pets.
- BEAUTIFUL COLOURS – Whether you’re looking for a cat bed or dog bed, we all look for a pet bed with natural colours that can blend into your home decor.
- FOR CATS AND DOGS – Suits furry friends of all sizes. With 50cm, 60cm and 70cm diameters, this pet bed will cater well for kittens, cats, puppies, small dogs, medium dogs.
- WASHABLE DOG BED – Minimise pet odours from adventurous dogs with removable, replaceable and washable covers and fill. The smart base, has a two layered zip system which allows you to separate the cover, base and walls.
- CALM YOUR PET & reduce destructive behaviour with your pet’s favourite treat. Cleaner than a snuffle mat. Perfect during stressful times. An alternative to an anti-anxiety vest.
- TREAT WITHOUT OVER FEEDING: LickiMat is designed for your pet’s favourite snack or treats. It keeps your pet happily engaged as they lick peanut butter & other pet safe foods.
- MAKE TREAT TIME FUN & INTERACTIVE: Keep your pet occupied for ages. Our interactive feeding mat turns treat time into a fun game. For Puppies and chewers choose LickiMat Tuff.
- PERFECT FOR BOTH DOGS & CATS: Authentic LickiMat is the only dog licking pad made from TPR not Silicone. TPR is stronger, safer and recyclable.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply hand wash with soap and warm water to remove any residue after each use.
- The ENHANCED NO-STRESS FORMULA of our calming collar for dogs helps improve their unwanted behaviour. The lavender calming collar helps reduce your pets stress, stop the excessive barking of your puppy or dog, and overcome their anxiety;
- FAST AND LONG-LASTING CALMING EFFECT Our calm collar is flexible and adjustable, so it suits small and medium, frightened, stressed, anxious, or hyperactive dogs. It starts working within one hour of contact. Its calming effect lasts up to 30 days.
- SAFE AND CONTINUOUS THERAPY Made only with natural ingredients, it is safe for long-term use. It causes no harm or addiction.
- ALLEVIATES FEAR OR STRESS-RELATED BEHAVIOURS caused by fear, stress, being in heat, loud noise, transportation, traveling, vets visit, being alone, fireworks, thunderstorm, etc. or at least calms your pet.
- Includes Calmeroos Puppy plush, plastic heart with heartbeat (2 – AAA batteries included), and 2 disposable heat packs! Plush is machine washable. Safe for pets – no plastic pieces on plush!
- Includes 2 VERY long-lasting disposable Heat Packs – 36 hours each! Heart operates on 2 – AAA batteries which are included!
- Great for easing anxiety and comforting pets of all ages who need a snuggle!
- Calmeroos plush are durable, however they are not intended to be a chew toy.
- 100% SAFE & NATURAL CALMING SUPPORT – Our soft chews will calm your dog so it can peacefully endure stressful situations, such as long car trips, visiting unfamiliar places, or hearing thunder
- IDEAL FOR ALL DOG BREEDS & SIZES – Whether it is a teacup chihuahua or a massive pit bull that you proudly own, our calming treats will keep your dogs constantly relaxed, behaved and in control
- MADE IN USA – Natural treats for dogs are infused with ingredients not found in most anxiety-relieving formulas, including Valerian, Chamomile and Passion Flower extracts
- MEGA VALUE – With 170 pcs dog anxiety relief per bottle
- Pets get stressed too! A few drops of RESCUE REMEDY PET can help reduce pet stress without the side effects often found in sedatives.
- Veterinarian recommended RESCUE REMEDY PET is a blend of 5 BACH ORIGINAL FLOWER REMEDIES, in a pet-friendly, alcohol-free formula.
- Each ingredient, chosen for its unique ability to ease mental tension — Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem, and Cherry Plum — is sourced directly from the original gardens of Dr. Bach.
- Simply add four drops to your pet’s food, water bowl or on a treat. It can also be rubbed onto your pet’s’ ear, nose or paw. Repeat as needed.
- Helps with crate training by reducing negative behaviours such as whining and barking, which also helps YOU sleep at night
- Helps pets transition to their new home and reduces stress
- “Real-feel” pulsing heartbeat and heat pack calm by appealing to natural instincts
- Machine washable on gentle cycle
- Average Chewing Dogs: The KONG Classic red rubber formula is created for average chewing dogs.
- Great For Stuffing: The stuffable KONG Classic is even more enticing when stuffed with kibble, peanut butter, KONG Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies. Dishwasher safe for easy clean up. BONUS: For an added challenge, freeze stuffed KONG for 4-6 hours before giving to your dog.