Going for walks comes part and parcel with owning a dog. Whether it’s a short brisk walk, long leisurely walk or even a jog with your pal, there are certain rules you need to follow. Just because you own a dog, doesn’t mean walking him will be a breeze, you need to be in control in order to keep you and your pooch safe.
Some things you need to consider before mastering your walks.
Before Your Walk Begins. The best way to develop a positive dog walking habit is when your pet is a puppy. As soon as her immune system is strong enough to protect her from disease, she’s ready for walks with you or other family members. Make sure your dog has the right collar or harness that is comfortable and safe before beginning your walks. Sometimes it takes a while for your dog to adjust to having a harness or collar put on, so practice at home before venturing out, as this will help create the walk a more comfortable experience. It shouldn’t take more than a couple days for your pup to forget she’s even wearing it. Don’t try to take your pup for a walk if she protests wearing a collar. Get her used to wearing her collar first. As soon as your pup is use to wearing their collar or harness, the next step is to attach a long leash and let it drag around behind them until, again, they are used to the sensation of the leash.
Once your dog is comfortable wearing his collar/harness and leash then it’s time to take the walks outside in a safe environment. Teaching your pup how to walk is not always an easy feat, it takes time, persistence and most of all patience.
Here are some pointers before hitting the streets for your walk.
Make sure you have taught your pup a cue. Introducing a cue (sound) to your puppy, that means he is about to receive a treat will help with training your pup to return to you. In a quiet, distraction free area and your pup wearing his leash and collar, make the sound. The moment your pup turns toward you, or acknowledges you, reward him with a treat. Repetition is key, after a few times you will notice your puppy responding to his cue and also coming over to you for the treat. While he’s on his way to you, still wearing the leash and collar, back up a few paces and then reward when he gets to you. Continue the progression until your puppy, upon hearing the cue noise, comes to you and walks with you a few paces. Remember to keep your sessions short, and end them when your puppy is still eager to do more, not when he’s mentally exhausted. Be sure to practice his cue inside in a safe environment, fewer distractions and when confident enough begin to practice outside where there will be new challenges, as all the sounds, smells, and sights your puppy encounters will be both intriguing and new to him. Be patient; keep the first walks short.
Once you have started to train outside, be sure to choose the side on which you want your dog to walk. Consistency is important when training your dog to walk. Choosing a side for the dog to walk establishes its spot in the activity. The puppy will become accustomed to walking with you by knowing what to expect.
Be sure to talk to your dog and reward your dog with special treats. Don’t get frustrated and have patience. Encourage your dog with a “good boy” when it does something right. Use a stern voice when instructing it not to do the wrong things, like bark at people passing by or growling at other dogs. Use the treats when teaching your dog to walk but especially when you want to teach your pet to not pull on the leash. Reward often and consistently. Reserve a treat that your dog especially likes for training purposes.
Ongoing training throughout your dog’s life is a great way to keep him healthy and his boredom at bay. It’s also a wonderful way to strengthen the bond between you and your pet. Keeping up with training can also be about improving leash manners, learning basic or advanced obedience commands and ongoing socialisation.
Your dog depends on you for her quality of life. Walking her every day or at least several times each week – taking advantage of different types of walks to stimulate her mentally and physically – will help your canine companion be balanced, healthy and happy for a lifetime.
We have thrown in a couple of products that may help you with the safety and comfort of walking your best friend. Once you have your walks down, you’ll never look back!
- Non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 Metal Leash Rings for safer dog walks. Use the CHEST attachment clip to stop your dog from pulling on walks, perfect for dog training or dogs who tend to pull. The BACK one is great for casual walks, jogging, hiking, etc
- 【Easy To Use】- This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 Fast-release Buckles. SLIDE the harness over your dog’s head, BUCKLE it up, ADJUST the straps, and here you go! Grab the Top Handle for additional control. Lightweight and easy to clean
- 【Fully Adjustable】- This adjustable harness features 4 easy Adjusting Straps around the body. You can use its 2 neck straps and 2 chest straps to create a Perfect Fit for your dog with some room of growth. No worries about slipping out or choking
- 【Safe and Comfortable】- Your dog will enjoy the daily walk in this comfort dog harness! Made of durable Nylon Oxford and padded with Soft Cushion to protect your dog’s skin. Breathable air mesh keeps your dog cool during outdoor activities. Super bright Reflective Strips ensure a SAFE walk both day and night
The all important Halti, to help you walk your dog with ease and control.
- Easy to fit headcollar
- Simple to use
- Head collar to aid training of pulling dogs
- Allows freedom to pant and yawn
- Includes a training guide
- FOAM HANDLE: Comfortable hand protection, no rope burns anymore, features soft padded handle helps you maintain firm and comfortable grip without digging into your hands even when your dog pulls hardly.
- PERFECT LENGTH: About 2 FT length short dog leash is easy to control your heavy duty dog in training, climbing and walking, And it is safer and easier to control when using your service dog or therapy dog. It can also be used as a dog traffic leash.
- DURABILITY & SAFETY: This dog Training leash is Made of strong climbing rope and durable 360 tangle free and rustproof swivel hook that are stronger than other standard dog leashes. Highly reflective threads keep high visibility make sure you and your dog are safe at night.
- HIGH-QUALITY SWIVEL HOOK: This dog leash with heavy duty metal clasp which catches collar or harness firmly when your dog suddenly tries to run.
SiRee Dog Water Bottle,Leak Proof Portable Puppy Water Dispenser with Drinking Feeder for Pets Outdoor Walking
- Leak Proof: Silica gel seal ring plus lock key design, make sure the pet water bottle doesn’t leak at all. No worry to get everywhere wet or waste water any more.
- Durable & Safe: The portable dog water bottle made of high quality food grade material, BPA free, FDA approved, make sure your pet completely safe from toxins when they use our dog water dispenser bottle
- Portable Doggie Water Bottle: Reasonable 12oz capacity, enough for outdoor walking, hiking and traveling. Compact size make sure you can put it in your bag easily, or take it on your hand by the attached strap conveniently.
- Easy to use: One hand operation, press water key to fill water, release to stop water, very easy to feed your pet with SiRee water bottle for dogs.
- HEAVY DUTY, DURABLE & STEADY – 16ft high strength nylon tape with durable rustproof swivel hook and steady impact-resistant nylon plastic, suitable for Small dogs up to 26 lbs.
- SAFE REFLECTIVE DOG LEASH- The black dog leash tape is embedded with white reflective materials. Highly reflective cord leash increase security & visibility for dogs and their owners at night.
- Ergonomic Anti-slip SOFT Handle- made of durable soft material & super comfortable grip for longer walks.
- PERFECT FOR USE- Quick Lock, Pause and Unlock Button- easy Roll-On and Roll-Off with your thumb only. 360 Degree Tangle-free, great for walking, jogging, running, camping and hiking, or out for a leisurely stroll backyard activities
- Top Quality and Heavy Duty Internal Coil Spring For Consistent Retraction.
Make training your dog a little less stressful with this Paw Lifestyles dog training pouch. It easily holds your pups treats and poop bags while you concentrate on training your dog how to walk safely.
- Just press the cord lock and pull to release. Drawstring enables you to maximise the opening so your whole hand fits in the dog treat bag to get treats out easily and quickly. You can rapidly reward your dog for its good behaviour and performance. When not in use, you can close the dog treats pouch completely to prevent dog noses from trying to sneak some treats. With pet training pouch closed, you can jog, run, bend over or sit down, and nothing will fall out.
- TREAT POUCH BAG WITH LARGE CAPACITY: Main compartment with extended inner has more spaces to keep kibble, treats and snacks from failing out. Front mesh pocket is suitable for storing pet toys. 1 enlarged zippered pocket fits most mobile phones. 1 back zippered pouch is for small items. 2 waste bag dispensers on sides are convenient for both left-handed and right-handed users. The D-rings can be used to hang collapsible bowl and clicker. The dog training treat bag keeps your hands free.
- MULTIPLE WAYS TO WEAR: You can attach the pet treat pouch to your pants or leash with the metal belt clip. LANNEY training pouch for dogs comes with waist belt and shoulder strap, which are adjustable to fit men and women. You can wear around the waist to hold the dog training snack pouch on your hip and slide it to any position. You can also hang the pet treat bag on your shoulder or across your body.
Don’t forget to treat your pup and reward him when they make awesome achievements with their walking. Heres a great training treat we saw got lots of good ratings.
- Gluten free bite size treats
- Made with real beef and chicken
- Ideal size for training or rewarding your dog
- Perfect for treating and training dogs of all sizes