One of the first things you are likely to think about when it comes to the health of your pooch would be troublesome Ticks and how to avoid them. There are species of ticks that can carry potentially fatal diseases that are transmitted when they bite your dog. They are known to be most active and looking for hosts around the Summer season. To prevent the transmission of diseases, and to keep those irritating ticks away from your dog, it’s a good idea to use a year-round flea and tick preventative and check your dog for ticks on a regular basis. Although as vigilant as we try to be for our beloved pets, it’s not uncommon to be confronted with an unwelcome tick hiding within your dog’s fur because spotting these tiny bloodsuckers isn’t always easy.
Here are some signs to look for that may indicate your dog has a tick:
Finding a tick in your home
If you come across a tick on your bedding, carpets, or on the floor, you or your dog probably bought it in the house. Don’t ignore coming across even a single tick found inside your house, make sure to follow up by checking you and your dog closely for any more of the critters.
If your dog appears to have a fever
Following a tick bite, a dog may display signs of a mild or high-grade fever. This may only last 24 hours or continue for longer. Signs of fever include weakness, loss of appetite, shivering and unusual panting.
While fevers can be a sign of many different sicknesses and symptoms, ticks should be ruled out.
An embedded tick may cause a dog to excessively nip or lick at the bite site. If you notice this behaviour or find scabs on your dog’s body, make sure to conduct a closer examination.
Excessive head shaking
If you notice your dog constantly shaking his head, a tick may be burrowed in his ear canal. Ticks like to hide in warm, damp places including a dog’s ears, groin or under his front legs..
You can feel a small bump under dog’s fur
Feeling a bump on your dog while you’re patting him might be the first sign of a tick bite. If you do feel a bump, don’t ignore it. Part the dog’s fur to get a closer look.
Lucky for us you can purchase tick treatments that will either repel ticks or kill them if they attach. Spot on treatments, tablets and collars are available and it’s best to consult your vet about which is most suitable for your pet.
- PROVEN TO WORK – Natural Care Flea and Tick Collar was created and proven by scientists to be a safe and effective flea and tick repellant, when used as directed.
- PLAN OF ATTACK – Each collar provides up to four full months of flea and tick repellency. For best results, remove any existing flea and tick infestations prior to use.
- NATURE’S WAY – Our flea and tick collar uses cedar-wood and peppermint oil for effective yet gentle flea and tick prevention. Phthalate and PVC free!
- ADJUSTABLE FIT – The perfect fit for most dogs and puppies four months or older, adjustable up to a full 20 inch neck size.
- COMFORT AND STRENGTH – We use a flexible nylon construction for your dog’s comfort, and our extra-strength proprietary design holds up. Made in France.
Insect Shield Insect Repellant Lightweight Hoodie for Protecting Dogs from Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes & More
- Lightweight Hoodies are treated with Insect Shield, an invisible and odourless insect-repellent technology
- Offers protection against ticks, mosquitoes, and other biting insects
- Hood offers added protection from dangerous and irritating pests”
- Veterinarian approved
- Effective Bug-Repellant Bandana – Features a proprietary permethrin formula bound tightly to fabric fibres for unparalleled protection from harmful biting insects
- Two Adorable Colours – Comes in your choice of green or orange featuring a sweet all-over dog print peppered with dog bones for a fun, stylish look
- Proven to Repel Insects – Effectively repels harmful biting insects, including those that may spread Lyme disease, malaria, dengue fever, heart worm
- Suits All Breeds – Versatile 19-inch by 19-inch size is designed to fit a wide range of breeds; Can be cut down to fit smaller breeds, if necessary
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS: Vet’s Best Flea and Tick spray formulated to wash away blood sucking pests such as fleas, ticks and mites and their eggs, providing long lasting pest control without harsh chemicals
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family
- Vet’s Best flea treatment spray for dogs has been specially formulated to wash away blood sucking pests such as fleas, ticks and mites and their eggs, providing long lasting pest control
- Vet’s Best Flea Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs provides fast itch relief from flea bites and gently calms and moisturises red, raw, and irritated skin
- Lightweight flea Comb EFFECTIVELY remove fleas and flea eggs from your pet’s coat. Gentle rounded tips glide effortlessly through the coat without irritating your dog skin
- The original o’tom tick twister for removing ticks
- Use on all animals and on humans for safe removal of ticks
- Pack of 2 hooks – select appropriate hook for size of tick
- Ticks removed safely and easily
- Item package may vary
- Stainless steel pins to remove loose hair and detangle coat.
- Nylon bristles redistribute natural oils for a healthy, shiny coat.
- Ideal for use on long, heavy, curly or wiry coats.
- 2X FLEA KILLING EFFECTIVENESS not only kills fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact but cleans and deodorises your dog’s coat
- VET’S BEST FLEA & TICK ADVANCED STRENGTH SHAMPOO does not contain harsh chemicals, but rather 100% certified natural essential oils and plant-based ingredients that provide a safe and fast acting formula for flea and tick removal and prevention
- NO ADDED FRAGRANCE – Made with 100% certified natural essential oils the Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Shampoo has a rosemary and peppermint scent that is easy to lather & rinse.
- SAFE TO USE for dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older when used as directed. Can be applied indoors or outdoors.
- Prevents heartworm disease in dogs
- Treats and prevents flea and tick infestations in dogs
- Controls infestations due to adult roundworms, hookworms and whipworms
- Effective for the treatment of gastrointestinal nematodes
- Protects dogs against flea tapeworm infection due to its rapid killing action