When the weather is warm and no lockdowns are looming, hitting the road can be therapy for many. Going on a road trip doesn’t have to end with a destination in mind or a camp site to pitch a tent. It could simply mean going on a beautiful scenic drive with your pal in toe.
When taking to the road with your dog, whether for long or short trips, there are a few things you do need to consider first to ensure your trip is safe and relaxed for the both of you.
The most important point, before even leaving the house with your furry friend, is to make sure he/she are microchipped and that your contact details are up to date. Losing your dog on a trip is a worst-case scenario and something no dog owner wants to think about happening but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
RSPCA states that there are 6 microchip registers in Australia and to make sure that the one you and your dog are recorded on is recognised nationally, not just in your state. If your register is only state based and your deciding to go on a super long road trip, it’s a good idea to also register on a national register. This way you can be contacted if your dog is lost at any point, including interstate, while on your adventures.
If you don’t already have a collar for your pal to wear on outings, then please consider purchasing one. It can be as funky or as practical as you please, but its purpose is to attach your pups ID tag to it. Their ID tag will have their name and your contact details on it in case of an emergency.
It’s a great idea to check the laws that apply to transporting your best friend around by either car, van, ute or caravan. Check the state Road Traffic Authority Road Rules if you are unsure but also to avoid any fines that will ruin your much-needed trip.
Safety in the car is another point we MUST touch on. Dogs are just like any other passenger in a moving vehicle and their safety on the roads should also be your number one priority. Vehicle restraints for dogs are readily available and we will provide you with links below to one’s we trust.
Now, moving onto our pal and their needs.
Before leaving on your trip make sure your pup can handle car rides and that he will be comfortable and safe while in your vehicle. Making sure your dog is up to date with their worming, flea treatment and vaccinations is very important before setting off on your adventure.
Remember to NEVER leave your dog unattended in a car. Dogs can die very quickly from heat stress, even in mild weather.
Make sure your pup has everything they need to be comfy and content on their trip. Stop for plenty of toilet breaks during your drive, provide them with places to run around and burn off some steam. Pack the leash to keep them safe in new, unknown destinations and for goodness sakes don’t forget to pack their SNACKS and WATER.
Here is a quick checklist for things to pack for your trip:
- Your pet’s regular food and treats. Don’t forget a can opener if your dog eats tinned food.
- Bedding and/or a travel crate to sleep in.
- Food and water bowls. Always carry enough bottles of fresh water in case you can’t find a tap.
- Collar/harness and lead.
- Your dog’s favourite toy(s).
- Grooming equipment including a towel in case your dog gets wet.
- a ‘pooper scooper’ and plastic bags to clean up after your dog.
- any required medications and a first aid kit.
- Size & Hammock Convertible: 56″ Wide x 60″ Length
- WaterProof & Non-slip Backing
- Feel Soft and Comfortable
- Easy to Install
- Dog car seat elevates pet for better view
- Keeps pet restrained for safety while driving, keeps pets from distracting you while driving
- Includes one adjustable security leash
- Fits in front or back seat
- Removable, washable cover
- EVERYDAY DOG HARNESS
- NO-PULL TRAINING FEATURE
- INCLUDES DOG SEATBELT
- Portable Dog Bowl – It’s important to keep your dog hydrated on the road. This convenient & portable no spill water bowl makes sure your dog stays refreshed & fed while in the car, without the mess
- Non Spill Dog Bowl for Travel – Tapered lip helps reduce splashing while travelling and keeps kibble/water off car floor. Unique wedge design ensures that spill-proof water bowl lays flat on car seat
- Made of Safe Materials – Travel dog bowl is designed with your dog’s safety in mind. Made of food-grade, BPA & PVC free silicone. This mess free bowl is dishwasher safe
- Size – Lightweight, no mess dog car bowl holds 700 ml of water or dog food. Approximately 18 cm in diameter x 7 cm tall. Use ice cubes to further reduce splashing & keep the water cool
- Designed for the best and most convenient travel outdoor experience for you and your pet! Airline Compliant and fit under seat. Perfect for a weekend getaway with your best friend.
- LARGE CAPACITY and FUNCTIONAL
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT
- This dog travel bag comes with 2 food containers bag and 2 collapsible bowl to keep your pet hydrated and fed during travel. Large capacity with 3L volume of each food container bag.
- This pet travel bag measures 14.5 x 8 x 12 inches (L x W x H) with bag volume of 22L in total. Available in 4 colours so you can mix and match
- The medium MudBuster is perfectly sized for medium sized dogs: it measures 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide
- To use, add a little water, insert the muddy paw, do the twist, dab the paw dry, repeat for 3 more paws
- The gentle silicone bristles will help remove dirt and mud from your dog’s paws- keeping the mess in the MudBuster and not in your house
- Keep the MudBuster handy after trips to the park, after walks or hikes, or by your backdoor
- Simple and easy to use, just rinse and keep on hand for next muddy encounter. BPA free
- EASY to USE
- No WATER LEAKAGE and NO WASTE
- SAFE and LIGHTWEIGHT
- LARGE CAPACITY: 18 oz / 520 ml capacity
Pogi’s Grooming Wipes – 120-Count Travel Pack – Deodorising Wipes for Dogs & Cats – Biodegradable, Green Tea Leaf Scented
- Conditioning Ingredients – Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi, help clean, freshen and condition while giving the coat a healthy shine.
- Biodegradable – Oeko-Tex sustainably harvested bamboo base allows the wipes to break down quickly, keeping the earth and oceans wipe free.
- On-The-Go Wipes (20 x 23 cm) – Our wipes are made big enough for even the largest of dogs, and thick enough for the heaviest coats.
- 120-Count Travel Pack – 6 Resealable Packs of 20 – Green Tea Leaf Scented Fresh Wipes – 1+ Month Supply
- VERSATILE – Can be used for light play or active throwing and chasing. Eco Balls are water absorbent allowing the wet ball to be heavier and throw further. The unique and specially designed composition allows the ball to be gripped in the mouth of all dog sizes without affecting the integrity of the ball shape.
- TOXIN FREE –Totally natural compounded New Zealand sheep wool coloured with toxin free dye. 100% biodegradable made from natural non allergenic material.
- SUITABLE & SAFE – For all small dogs, medium dogs and large dogs. Eco Balls are 7cm in diameter and their material allows it to be gripped by small or large mouths. Non slippery surface makes it non -abrasive on dog teeth. Differs to tennis balls which are not designed for dog play and are toxic and abrasive on teeth
- LONG LASTING Each ball is compounded under intense pressure making the finished product a solid material, unlike a generic tennis ball, the eco ball is bite resistant under supervised play, yet is un-abrasive so won’t damage dogs teeth.
- CLEAN PICK-UPS: ergonomically designed handle provides comfortable one-handed operation and with large-capacity for gentle yet effective pick-ups on a variety of surfaces including grass, concrete, gravel, dirt water and pavement.
- KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN & AVOID ODOURS: clean up your pet waste whilst keeping odours a safe distance from your hands and nose. No need to touch your dog’s poop or any other nasty messes. E.g. Can also be used to dispose of dead rodents / crawling insects.
- TAKE IT EVERYWHERE: hooks easily on a leash so you won’t forget it and you won’t have to carry it. Perfect for dog walks, cleaning up your backyard or when travelling.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Has an integrated waste bag compartment compatible with any standard size rolls and with expandable backside great for picking up waste of all shapes and sizes.