One of the first steps to consider before bringing home a furry addition to the family is to make sure your garden and the inside of your home is puppy/dog proof. Following a few simple steps will give you piece of mind knowing your new friend can’t get into any danger.
Just like babies, puppies are also curious creatures so here are a few things to consider.
- Any cabinets that are easy for paws to open would be best secured with baby proof latches
- Fill in any small spaces that your little fluffer can fit in and become stuck (behind fridge, washer/dryer)
- Make sure all chemicals are up on a high shelf or in locked cabinets i.e medications, cleaning products, any chemicals.
- Make sure your toilet lid is put down or doors to toilet are securely closed before leaving puppy unattended for any period of time.
- If your bin is not secure in a cupboard, make sure the lid is securely fixed shut so your curious pup doesn’t go looking for a snack that may be harmful (plastics, glad wrap around food, chemicals)
- Any food in the kitchen needs to be placed up high out of reach of your puppy or locked behind child safety cabinets.
- Most importantly, place any exposed wires up out of reach, if this is impossible consider a child play pen fence to surround unsafe areas like your tv cabinet or computer desk where there would be a lot of exposed wires that look nice to chew.
- Pack away all of the children’s toys and games to prevent puppy from chewing and possibly chocking on small toys.
- Any breakable items need to be placed up high and out of jumping reach
- Any indoor plants that may be toxic to your pet need to be removed or placed up high and out of reach of jumping puppies
- Have a general look around in places your puppy can hide to make sure you haven’t missed any small items your puppy can chock on
- Make sure all cleaning/pool chemicals are locked away or placed up on high shelving
- Always check underneath your car before turning on the engine and moving
- Make sure you have put away any tools that may be lying around
- Make sure all clothing and shoes are safely away in closed closets
- Check for any exposed wires like phone chargers or bedside table lamps that can be chewed
- Check under the bed for any loose items
- Make sure any chemicals or liquids like cosmetics, medications and perfumes are up high and out of reach from your dog
- Keep all bedroom doors closed if you do not want your dog to enter
- Now that you have done the basics of pet proofing your house it would be a great time to take a look at what safety precautions can be taken for when your dog is playing outside.
Garden Bed and Flowers:
- All of us love to have a beautifully manicured garden with all the prettiest flowers in season. Unfortunately, many common flowers can be poisonous to dogs so best to do your research first before planting any flowers or checking to see what flowers already exist in the garden before bringing your puppy home.
- Just like indoors, all of your bins outside need to be secured closed with the appropriate lids and placed out of reach from your dog especially while you are out.
- If you happen to have a small garden shed that may contain any chemicals for your garden or pool, remember to have appropriate locks on the door and harmful chemicals placed up high so that your dog can’t paw open the door easily get access to any nasties.
- If you have a pool, like for children, make sure there are no holes in the pool fence for your dog to gain access while unattended. Your dog should be taught how to safely enter and exit the pool early on.
- Fencing around the property should be checked carefully and regularly for anything ‘weak’ palings that can come away and be an escape door for your dog.
- Keep your lawn mown and grass short regularly as this will prevent ticks and fleas from having easy access to your dog.
- Keep all of your outside area clean and dry where possible to again prevent fleas and ticks from hanging around.
- Try to avoid using any chemicals on your lawn as this can be toxic to your dog if needed to use then consult your vet and keep your dog off the lawn for recommended period of time.
- Provide water and shade for your dog when you have him hanging out outside.
- If you are wanting to keep your dog from accessing any part of your garden, then consider spraying desired plants with pungent smells like white vinegar or apple cidar. Sprinkle powered mustard or pepper flakes around the edges of your garden to discourage your dog from eating your prized vegetables.
- Place pruned rose or holly branches around your garden or plants. The thorns and prickly leaves will discourage your dog from entering the restricted area.
- Otherwise have a suitable sized play pen in the garden, filled with appropriate toys, chewable snacks and water to keep your pooched contained and entertained until you return.
There are lots of little things to consider to keep your dog happy, healthy and safe, after all they are one of your beloved family members.
F.Y.I we have added a short list of products that may help you with proofing your home for your new and old fluffy friend.
- SET INDOOR BOUNDARIES: Keep your cat off the kitchen counter and your dog away from the shoe rack by setting off-limits areas with the wireless, Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier transmitter
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: You’ll receive 1 Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier and a receiver collar for your cat or dog to wear
- SAFELY CORRECTS YOUR PET: When your pet enters the boundary area wearing the receiver collar, they will hear a series of beeps and then will receive a safe yet startling static correction
- ADJUSTABLE BARRIER RANGE: Protect specific areas throughout your home by adjusting the boundary up to a 6 feet radius or 12 feet in diameter
- PROTECT MULTIPLE AREAS OF YOUR HOME: If you want to keep your pet away from more than 1 area of your home, simply purchase additional Pawz Away barriers and place them where needed
- Stop your pooch from scratching to get into places their toys have rolled.
- Takes less than a minute to set up, quick & easy no cutting, measuring or tools required
- Wraps around any size furniture legs with a strong secure hold no need to fasten or stick anything
- 10 Foot long by 2.5 inches high strong steel body can stop anything thrown at it
- Keeps dirt and dust from accumulating under furniture
- All-in-one kit for any do-it-yourself pet door installation for a better fit and improved energy efficiency
- Perfect for providing additional water-resistance and weather protection, especially for installations in a door or application with raised panels or raised surface
- For use with PetSafe Brand and other pet doors
- Kit includes a 5/16″ drill bit, 3/16″ roll of weather stripping, 1/2″ roll of weather stripping and a tube of clear silicone sealant with applicator tip
- Protects doors from pet scratch damage
- Shatterproof, flexible crystal-clear, latex-free, non-toxic plastic
- Easy to install with included adhesive; trim to size with scissors
- Fits standard sized doors: wood, metal, or glass doors
- Door Buddy – The simple pet door latch that will keep your dog (if slightly larger than cat) out of the room
- SIMPLER ALTERNATIVE – Door Buddy may be simple, but it works! Why struggle with a baby gate with cat door or dog gates for doorways?
- INSTALLS IN SECONDS AND IS EASY TO USE – Just peel and stick to the door and door frame using the strong 3M tape (2 extras included). Its easy to latch and unlatch allowing you to use it from either side of the door giving you quick and convenient access to the room in your house where you keep the cat feeding station or cat litter box.
- ADJUSTABLE AND CUSTOMISABLE – Use the adjuster on the dog door strap to make the width of the door opening wider or narrower to work with the exact sizes of your cat and dog. You can even alter the position where you stick the plastic pieces to make it further customisable. Or, install on the back of the door to make it stronger, especially for larger and more persistent dogs. Compatible with all types of doors from bi-fold doors to pocket doors and even double doors!
- PREMIUM QUALITY TREADS -The surface is a double-stripe polyester fibre ,easy to clean and provide extra foot traction for protection. The bottom have a grip-type surface is carefully crafted PVC fibber.
- GENTLE FEEL- Low profile soft carpeting material that feels Comfortable on bare-feet and paws.
- WASHABLE /LONG LASTING- Can wash with carpet soap and brush and hose or dry outside. Also the vacuum gets them very clean.
- NO DAMAGE TO WOOD- The treads are not self-adhesive. They can stay in place because of their rubber backing. But you can purchase a double-sided tape separately for better grip (not included).
- STAIR TREADS SIZE-30″x 8″x 0.3″,Colour :Brown ,Includes: Set of 14. You can trim them for smaller sizes